Sunday, January 16, 2011

Always Stay For the Party

After the experimental theatre piece I described below (it was called Euphoria) there was a party (that was kind of still part of the performance, but you didn't HAVE to stay). I didn't want to stay. I wasn't in the mood. But I did. And I'm glad.

I got to know some of the cast better and made some friends I still see. Plus, I did some networking. The other assistant director for the show and I had become good friends - he just graduated from the directing program at NCSA. There is quite an NCSA mafia in DC - they even have their own production company (No Rules) that takes their productions back to NC and then up to DC. They're blossoming pretty quickly and doing exciting work.

So new ncsa friend introduced me to their artistic director and production manager. I had contacted their production manager back in September with my resume because the LD for Scorched had suggested that I assist him. (He is also a local Lighting Designer). We had talked about meeting, but it hadn't worked out and then out conversations kind of petered out. I had also sent my resume to No Rules as a designer.

So I had a decent conversation with the Artistic Director about devised work and it's relation to Euphoria and their company. I introduced myself to the Production Manager and told him of our email plight, which he soon remembered and apologized profusely. We said we would catch up soon.

I emailed him the next day asking when he was free for coffee. We set something up

The morning of our meeting my parents were in town to take me home for Christmas and I was so tempted to cancel because I just wanted to go home, but I didn't. We had coffee. I made sure I had a clean copy of my resume and had pulled favorite images onto my computer from the internet (the cafe didnt have wifi) in case he asked to see any.

Note: If you bring images make sure you have something specific to already say about them, don't just wait for questions. Have it already planned, or you will fumble.

I am now assisting him on his next show (which is actually at Forum, which is great because I had already asked the company to assist whoever ended up designing that show). He also offered me a paid job board oping and programming for No Rules next production, which conflicted with the ALDing so I couldn't take it. PLUS he said he'd check out my portfolio and consider me for a future project at No Rules as a designer.

Awesome.

So always stay for parties. Don't give up on people you really want to meet. And always go to meeting you don't feel like going to.

No comments:

Post a Comment