Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Great Debate at 22

I'm actually not going to do this right now, but I wanted to remind myself to do it later.

I had a conversation with a local lighting designer (a 3 hour coffee meeting!!) and we ended up talking a lot about knowing what you want at a young age. A lot of people have told me it's totally fine (and actually really good) to just explore your options at first and not tie yourself down or feel like you have to make a decision. This LD told me I had to know what I wanted SPECIFICALLY right now and be pursuing it every second with a detailed 5 year plan in mind.

Later, when I feel like sitting here for a long time, I'll present what people have said to me on both sides of this argument and spit out some of my own thoughts now that I've digested a whole bunch of other people's.

Regardless of either choice it's important to remember what everyone I've talked to agrees on:
it's theatre. Most people don't do it, see it, or care about it. You are certainly not in it for the money. It is not life or death for you or anyone else (we can talk about Spiderman later). SO if you are not having fun and enjoying yourself, don't do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment